Monday, May 04, 2015

A Boy and a Jaguar by Alan Rabinowitz

When I found that Bonnie left A Boy and a Jaguar by Alan Rabinowitz on my nightstand, I thought that I had found a fantasy. The beautiful illustrations by Catia Chien lend the book a magical aura. In side its covers, however, is a true story. Rabinowitz has written an inspiring memoir for children about his overcoming stuttering to become a noted zoologist and conservationist. It is fantastic.

Through his love of animals and good counseling when he reaches college, Rabinowitz finds his clear voice through accepting that he will always start from a stutter.

I don't want to give too much away, but I will point out that there is a plug for the book on the back cover by Temple Grandin. You do not have to be a child to enjoy this picture book.

Rabinovitz, Alan. A Boy and a Jaguar. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2014. ISBN 9780547875071.


No comments: