Wednesday, April 16, 2014

God Got a Dog by Cynthia Rylant and illustrated by Marla Fraze

BBWB. Bonnie brings wonderful books. I could label many of my reviews with this code.

After reading God Got a Dog written by Cynthia Rylant and illustrated by Marla Fraze, I could write a sermon, but this is a book review.

If I wrote a sermon, I would say how we would be more mindful and respectful toward other people if we realized who they really were. I would go on to say that we probably would restrain ourselves from hurting others, and if we did harm, we would be sorrowful and make amends.

But this is a book review, and God Got a Dog is a good book. I want to tell you about it without telling too much. You should discover its contents yourself.

God Got a Dog is a book filled with one-page story poems aimed at children that should also be made available to open-minded adults. With every poem is a delightful illustration clarifying its story's character and mood.

My favorite poems in the book:
"God woke up"
"God went to the doctor"
"God wrote a book"
"God got cable"
"God went to India"
Actually, I like them all. God Got a Dog is charming, sweet, and profound. Now I need to get God Went to Beauty School from which these poems were selected.

Rylant, Cynthia. God Got a Dog. Beach Lane Books, 2013. 9781442465183.

No comments: